Choosing a paint colour can be a daunting task and hiring a decorator can be costly. There are thousands of colours to choose from some are so similar the naked eye can hardly tell the difference. Below are a list of tips for choosing the right colour.
- Avoid bright or energetic colours in bedroom (unless it is for a child’s bedroom). A bedroom should be a calming and peaceful space and often, the use of brighter colours make it harder for a person to unwind.
- Avoid using yellows and greens in the bathroom. These colours tend to cast unfavourable colour onto the skin when looking in a mirror.
- If you like vibrant colours, the kitchen is the place for you. Using bright, food derived colours in the kitchen can make the room seem warm and inviting. Try to avoid blue-tones or other dull, muddy tones in the kitchen as these tones are less appetizing.
- Try an accent wall. If you can’t decide between two colour because you think one will be too dark and one will be too light, use them both. An accent wall will add depth to you room and create contrast. Normally the accent colour is darker than the room colour to keep the room bright.
- When deciding on a colour, stand in the room with your paint chips at different times during the day. As the light in a room fluctuates throughout the day you will be able evaluate the paint colour throughout those fluctuations. Some colours look great in bright daylight but don’t look so great at night.
- If you’re painting a small space, try to use a pale colour to make the room feel larger. If you have a large room that you want to make feel more cozy, stick with warm darker colours.
Sometimes, it’s easier to get a better sense of how a colour will look on the walls by actually putting it on the walls. Most paint stores offer trial sizes so you can take the paint colour home and test is on your walls. We suggest tacking a sheet of Bristol board to your walls and painting the Bristol board in the colours you are deciding between. This will your walls in case you change your mind and decide not to paint.
The best thing about paint is that you can always paint over it so try to have some fun and let your personality come through with your colour choice.